Weldon McInnis is a full service law firm based in Dartmouth. Since 1955, our firm has been providing quality legal services to individuals and businesses.
Our lawyers and staff are involved in the community as volunteers, fundraisers and as public representatives. It is our priority to give back to the community.
Our team is dedicated to providing comprehensive legal services to our clients. We come from varied backgrounds and we value diversity in the firm and in the community.
Our mission at Weldon McInnis is to understand each client’s needs and to work hard to help them achieve their goals.
At Weldon McInnis we take the time to listen to your needs, explore options and work with you toward a satisfactory resolution.
Weldon McInnis was first opened as a sole proprietorship by and under the name of Richard L. Weldon, Barrister, in February of 1955 on Portland Street in Downtown Dartmouth. Richard L. Weldon was the grandson of Richard Chapman Weldon, founder and first dean of Dalhousie Law School in 1883. Soon after opening for business, Richard L. Weldon began bringing in partners, including Carl Misener, whose name graced the name of the firm’s letterhead for nearly three decades. Over the years the firm has had a number of partners and associates, many of whom remain distinguished members of the legal profession and the community at large. Weldon McInnis alumni include: a former Premier of Nova Scotia, a Canadian Senator, Judges, and former Members of the Legislative Assembly.
During the eighties and nineties the firm, which went by Weldon Beeler & Mont, and later Weldon Beeler Mont & Dexter, saw great expansion. As practices grew and more lawyers joined the firm, the Portland Street location rapidly became too small to house all of the firm’s practitioners. By early 2001 a partner, junior associate and articled clerk all shared one office! The building had already been expanded to its capacity and relocation of the firm on fairly short order was imperative.
2001 was a defining year in the firm’s evolution. The two firms, Weldon Beeler Mont & Dexter and Chiasson McClure, merged to create Weldon McInnis. Holding true to its Downtown Dartmouth origin, property which had been purchased at 118 Ochterloney Street was developed into our new offices, taking care to preserve the historic residential building which now serves as an entranceway to our modern commercial building. We are proud to have been able to preserve the Hyde family residence, which was the home of Arthur E. Hyde, a Dartmouth land surveyor, and his family for many years. The combination of the old and new buildings reminds us of our history as we progress into the twenty-first century.
Thomas J. McInnis of the name Weldon McInnis is an important part of the evolution of our firm today. Tom McInnis practiced real estate law at our Porter’s lake office as well as our Dartmouth office for 12 years. In June 2005 after a brilliant legal career, Tom retired to his home in Sheet Harbour.
Today, Weldon McInnis is a modern and dynamic full service law firm. We are rooted in the community and we value the important traditions that have shaped us since our foundation over 60 years ago.